Lab: Enterprise Under Cyber-Attack. Threats, Plans, Decisions
Course delivered by Open University
Study language: English
The course aims to equip the participant with strategic yet pragmatic knowledge about the nature of cyber-threats from the business perspective by identifying potential challenges and difficulties and ultimately, by inspiring thought-provoking discussions and advancing the quest for novel solutions. Participants will develop a way of thinking that is security-oriented, better understanding how to think about adversaries and to ensure a safe, secured environment for business to thrive.
The objective of the course is to:
- understand the fundamental concepts underlying the construction, management and maintenance of secure systems and environments conducive, and threat-mitigated, for business;
- understand and appreciate the nature of cyber threats and human risk behaviour in the cyber space;
- understand how to devise responsive and adequate strategies to counter contraband activities for businesses and organisations within the cyber landscape.
Cyber Security in business is one of the strategic areas of modern organisations. Today’s business leader needs practical experience, not only in management and leadership, but also technologies and their influence on business operations. While technological advancements are sharply on the rise, cyber threats are even closer and evolving at a much faster pace than hitherto. This course, delivered in collaboration with strategic partners of EBS, is replete with exercises and covers key facets of cyber security. The concepts are illustrated with simulation exercises, which is run concurrently with other universities in Europe and drawn from modern practice, involving relevant tools and techniques. The simulation segment is modelled along well-known approaches and adapted to suit business needs, making it very relevant for today’s strategic business manager. It is based on the BHC Laboratory experience in creating government-level cyber security simulations in cooperation with NATO CCDCoE (Cooperative Cyber Defence Centre of Excellence) and EDA (European Defence Agency), and been actually tested and applied in multiple government-level strategic decision making, involving high-level participants from across the globe with excellent outcomes. The Cyber Hygiene e-Learning Platform was invented by CybExer Technologies, an entity specialised in the delivery of advanced trainings in the field of cyber security using state-of-the-art software solutions. The Interactive Simulation Exercise includes real-time labs where participants react to various cyber threat vectors that can target businesses, using software designed for this purpose, followed by feedback sessions and more.
The course covers the following topics:
- The Threat and Vulnerability Landscape;
- Social Engineering and Social Media Offence and Defence;
- Identity and Authentication: Mechanisms in Business;
- Security Perimeters and Domains;
- Risk Management and Business Continuity Planning;
- Lab: Enterprise under Cyber Attack! Threats, Plans, Decisions.
Upon completion of the course the student will acquire:
- ability to identify security threats and vulnerabilities and design a mitigation drive to ensure improved business continuity and risk planning;
- proficiency to apply appropriate decision-making frameworks to avoid catastrophic security decisions;
- ability to take decisions, formulate courses of action and test effectiveness of existing regulations and security systems;
- enhanced knowledge and understanding of the threats within the cyberspace and improved responsiveness to protect organisations and societies.
Lecturers: Andrew Adjah Sai , Rainer Tugevus (BHC Laboratory)
Price: 360 €
The volume in hours: 3 ECTS (16 ak/h in classroom)
Time schedule: 28.03/ 29.03, kl 10.15-17.15
Requirements: Bachelor's Degree or equivalent