Introduction to Financial Management microdegree programme starts
Our new bachelor-level microdegree programme "Introduction to Financial Management," is designed for those interested in financial and investment management, with a background or experience in the financial field. Upon completion, students will be able to evaluate various investment opportunities and risks, aligning with Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) Level 1 requirements.
Over three and a half months (January 29 to May 14, 2024), participants will gain knowledge in the following areas:
- Valuation of Securities: Covers fundamental concepts of financial markets and basic analysis methods, including securities valuation techniques, practical exercises, and portfolio diversification. The course provides comprehensive knowledge of securities analysis fundamentals and navigational skills in the market, emphasizing ethical investment.
- Risk Management: Explores key risks in business, such as business, market, financial, and operational risks. Participants learn methods for measuring and managing these risks, including scenario analysis and stress testing. The course also addresses the role and organization of risk management in a company.
- Professional Negotiations: Develops skills for effective communication and confident interaction in the international business environment. Emphasizes the appreciation of various communication channels, identification of common barriers, and the development of skills to overcome them. Participants gain awareness of challenges in culturally diverse business communication, understand principles of professional business communication, and adapt communication channels in different contexts.
- Investment Management Game: The course/game offers hands-on experience in investing and trading in the U.S. stock markets via real-time data based investment (trading) simulation. The participants are required to open a free account in the selected trading platform, form and actively manage a portfolio. Regular meetings to discuss investment and trading strategies help to learn from each other's mistakes or success stories and to explore possible investment opportunities.
The "Introduction to Financial Management" microdegree program is an excellent opportunity for individuals without a prior background in economics or business to initiate an international business career. It welcomes students from diverse fields, career changers, entrepreneurs, and professionals from other sectors with pre-existing knowledge in finance and investment.
Learning takes place in an international environment, within a small group alongside bachelor's degree students. In addition to the mentioned lecture days, the course workload includes independent assignments. Study sessions are scheduled on weekdays from January 29 to May 14, with the exact timetable to be confirmed.
Pre-Registration for the program has begun and will remain open until January 25 or until available spots are filled. The discounted price is valid until January 10.
Participants are expected to
- have completed secondary education,
- have passed beginner-level finance courses or have working experience in the field of finance
- possess English language proficiency at a minimum B2 level,
- and passed an interview with us. Book an online interview slot here (interviews do not take place between Christmas and New Year!).
The purchasing platform MYEBS will open at the end of December. Individuals or businesses can complete the purchase themselves. Registration for clients of the Unemployment Insurance Fund (Töötukassa) is only available through the e-service of the Unemployment Insurance Fund. Additional information: email@example.com
NB! Please be advised that in case you are outside of EU/EEA member states and or if your intention is to pursue any short-term courses/programmes at the Open University, it's important to note that a residence permit for studying is exclusively issued for programs that lead to a formal degree. Unfortunately, this provision does not extend to microdegrees.