The master programme in International Business Administration provides students with a unique opportunity to combine general business knowledge with in depth expertise in the field of specialization (finance, marketing or leadership and management of change). We strongly believe that a solid understanding of all business functions enables the graduates to take up managerial and specialist positions with better preparation The graduates are not only experts in their field of specialization but are also able to discuss strategic business issues within all the departments of a company.
It is possible to study the business administration master programme as follows:
In EBS Tallinn
Specializing in finance or marketing
Study format: full time – classes from 8.30 to 11. 45 Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday. Thursday is a day for optional courses, language studies, etc.
In EBS Helsinki
Specializing in leadership and organizational change
Session based studies – three full days at school once in three weeks.
Study mobility is strongly encouraged. EBS has more than 60 partner universities and in most of them exchange semester is supported by the Erasmus+ programme.
Our teaching philosophy values interactive classes, practical assignments and involving real life company cases in the study process. While there are a few traditional lectures in some course, most of the student learning occurs through teamwork, discussions and hands on activities. Group dynamics and peer to peer interaction are vital component of the learning experience of our students and the aim of our faculty is to facilitate these.
Estonian Business School has fully implemented the learning management system Canvas which has been titled the best educational LMS by the PC Magazine in 2017. Canvas is a one stop modern and user friendly hub to all course related content giving the students superior experience of blended learning.
Most of the faculty teaching in the program are internationally renowned specialists in their fields, having both academic and practical business experience. We have a roughly equal proportion of full-time faculty members, practitioner-lecturers from companies and professors from a wide range of international universities.
You have three options to specialize after the completion of the core business administration courses:
Learning outcomes of the programme
1. General business competencies with in depth knowledge in the selected field of specialization
2. Ability to integrate and critically apply a broad range of management theories in complex international context
3. Awareness of the societal background, opportunities and limitations, as well as awareness of the influence of one’s actions to the society
4. High ethical standards and professional integrity
5. Knowledge of business research methods and experience in applying them in different contexts
6. Superb critical thinking and decision making skills to be an effective leader in a constantly changing environment
7. Competence to communicate convincingly in different media, for different audiences and in various contexts
8. Proactive attitude to lifelong learning
This programme is designed as a part of the 3+2 study system, complementing a 3-year bachelor degree in business, management, economics or similar field with a 2 year master programme. Previous work experience or non-academic studies can be taken into account for candidates who have a different bachelor degree. In addition it is sometimes possible to take some preparatory courses. For details, please contact the admissions specialist.
We look for strong candidates who want to continue studies straight after obtaining the bachelor degree as well as students who have been working after their studies. Most of our students have some work experience that makes class discussions more relevant to specific practical scenarios.
Although it is a full time program the studies are organized so that it is possible to continue (part time) work during the studies.
Finance and Accounting
The Finance specialisation makes the best out of EBS association with CFA Institute and ACCA Association providing an attractive and powerful reference that assures quality and relevance by itself, and also allows you to proceed to prepare the certifications’ programmes of your choice with much of the work already done.
1. Ability to define and implement long range financial strategies;
2. Skills to evaluate the financial status and forward looking strategies of a corporation;
3. Ability to analyse financial instruments and portfolios;
4. Carry out full accounting and assurance tasks;
5. Knowledge, skills and attitude to take charge of general or departmental management activities with responsibility for financial results and return on invested capital.
The module is taught in EBS Tallinn Campus.
“Good marketing makes the company look smart. Great marketing makes the customer feel smart.”(Joe Chernov)
Our marketing specialization is built on three pillars: how marketing works, how human beings work and how technology works. This approach equips graduates with and integrated approach that enables them to work in strategic positions in various companies and institutions. We strongly believe that the general business education that precedes the specialization module and equips students with knowledge about finances, management, human resources, etc, makes our graduates stand out as marketing professionals with the best understanding of business as a whole.
1. Ability to apply integrated marketing knowledge in different contexts
2. Ability to plan and implement complex marketing strategies
3. Skills, knowledge and motivation to work as an expert or team leader in the field of marketing
4. Understanding the ethical and legal considerations regarding various marketing tasks
5. Ability to identify, gather and analyse information and data as an input to evidence based decisions in complex marketing environment
6. Excellent communication and presentation skills
7. Creative and curious mind
The field of specialization in Marketing includes the following subjects:
- International Marketing and Performance Measurement - dr Tabani Ndlovu (experienced international marketing specialist and educator with solid experience from the UK, various Africa countries, United Arab Emirates and other countries)
- Consumer Behavior and Critical Marketing – prof Katri Kerem, prof Riina Koris (EBS), invited guest speakerrs
- Strategic Digital Marketing – Nazari Goudin (EBS Doctoral student and experienced digital marketing practitioner), prof. Katri Kerem (EBS)
- PR and Media Relations - Scott Abel (EBS doctoral student, experienced international content writer and PR specialist)
- Advanced Services Marketing - Ester Eomois (lecturer and doctoral student of EBS with solid previous managerial experience, also working as a business consultant)
- Tourism Marketing - dr Jeff Jarvis (Monash University, Australia), Triin Veideman (Estonian Tourism Board, EBS doctoral student)
The module is taught in EBS Tallinn Campus.
Organisational Change and Leadership in Digital Era
“Leadership is the capacity to translate vision into reality." (Warren Bennis, pioneer of leadership studies)
This specialization module is developed to provide in depth knowledge and skills for successful leadership and change management in the digital era. Our aim is to train leaders who have a strong vision, necessary skills to develop this vision to reality, and ability to motivate and inspire people in their organizations.
1. Good understanding of the processes of change in organizations combined with skills to lead these changes
2. Knowledge of main schools of strategic leadership, leadership environment and tools
3. Possessing leadership competencies, including creative leadership skills and transformational techniques
4. Adhering to the standards of ethical leadership and putting high value on professional integrity
5. Understanding and appreciation of cultural differences in the global business environment
6. Good communication and presentation skills to lead and motivate others
7. Excellent problem solving and analytical skills in both academic and business contexts
The field of specialization in organisational change and leadership includes the following subjects:
- Organizational design
- Managing teams
- Strategic Leadership
- Change Management
- Cross-Cultural Communication
- Ethics and Responsibility in Business and Leadership
The module is taught only in EBS Helsinki Campus.
The application deadline for non-EU candidates for study year 2019/2020 is the 5th of April, 2019. Apply here.
The application deadline for EU candidates and candidates from Turkey, Russia, Ukraine, Belarus, USA, Canada, Japan for study year 2019/2020 is the 17th of June, 2019.
Fees and Financing Options in Tallinn
For EU citizens
The semester tuition fee for study year 2018/2019 for Estonian and other EU citizens is the following:
- Paying in one part the semester fee is 2600 €.
- Paying in two parts the semester fee is 2600 EUR + 35 EUR
- When the student is a part-time student or would like to transfer some courses from another university and therefore does not need to take the whole programme then the semester fee is being calculated on credit point basis. The fee for one credit point is 95 € .
- If you are a resident or a holder of a long-term residence permit in the Republic of Estonia you can pay in several instalments by using Study Investment.
For non-EU citizens
The tuition fee for non-EU citizens is the following:
- Tuition fee for first study year (2 semesters) is 5200 €.
- Tuition fee can be paid only in one instalment.
- International module
The travel and accommodation costs of international module are not included in the MA programme tuition fee.
- ACCA and CFA certificates
To be rewarded an ACCA or CFA certificate you need to take the certificate exams.
Fees and financing options in Helsinki
The semester tuition fee for study year 2018/2019 in Helsinki is the following:
- Paying in one part the semester fee is 3500 €.
- The semester fee for 4th semester is 2300 €.
- When the student is a part-time student or would like to transfer some courses from another university and therefore does not need to take the whole programme then the semester fee is being calculated on credit point basis. The fee for one credit point is 130 €.
All the candidates, who have received the positive admission decision, hence acceptance letter from EBS, can apply for a scholarship. In order to apply, you need to write an official application letter to the Scholarship Committee. The mission of the Scholarship Committee is to review and award scholarships.
The Scholarship Committee makes the decision based on the applicants’ previous experience. Suitable candidates have an entrepreneurial mindset, excellent grades and experiences outside the classroom.
In the application letter the candidate should mention:
- Why do they want to study at EBS and which program did they apply for?
- How are they planning to use the knowledge they gain here and which goals have they set for themselves?
- What kind of value will they bring to the classroom and to the studies here?
In EBS, the scholarship gives a discount on the tuition fee. Scholarships are awarded once a year in August. Please send your application via e-mail email@example.com by the 10th of July.
*Finnish students are eligible for various types of financial assistance from Kela during education.